Black Forest Cake Recipe
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup shortening/Butter (unsalted)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans; dust with cocoa.
- Using an electric mixer, on low speed with the paddle attachment, incorporate all ingredients slowly; mix until well-blended.
- Increase mixer speed to high; mix for two more minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Pour batter into pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes until cake springs to the touch. Set aside to cool.
3. Cherry Filling Ingredients
Brandy or rum can be substituted for the Kirsch.
- Two 350garms cans pitted tart cherries in
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Kirsch (optional)
- Drain liquid from canned cherries, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, reserved cherry liquid and 1/3 cup sugar.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens, approximately 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in butter and vanilla extract; fold in cherries. Set aside to cool.
4. Kirsch Syrup Ingredients (Optional)Make this syrup if you plan to use Kirsch in the recipe.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 water
- 1/4 cup Kirsch
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in Kirsch. Let cool.
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- During assembly (see below),
- Using a serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally into 3or2 layers. Place 1 layer of
- Using a metal spatula, spread a thin layer of chocolate whipped cream on top of cake.
- Using a pastry bag with an open tube, pipe 2 circles of chocolate whipped cream on the cake, one around the outer edge and one in the center of the cake.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe the cherry filling inside the chocolate circles.
- On top of the first layer, place the cake and brush it with Kirsch syrup. If you are not using Kirsch syrup, spread a thin layer of raspberry preserves on the cake.
- Using an electric mixer, at high speed with the paddle attachment, whip together 1 quart heavy whipping cream and 1 cup confectioner’s sugar. Apply a thin layer of the whipped cream on top of the preserves. Set aside the remaining cream.
- On top of the whipped cream, place the last chocolate cake layer and brush with Kirsch syrup. With the remaining whipped cream, coat sides and top of cake. Press chocolate shavings onto sides of cake.
- Spoon remaining whipped cream into a pastry bag, using a star-shaped tip. Pipe small rosettes around perimeter of cake. Decorate with a cherry on each rosette.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.